The Hickory Church of Christ was established in Hickory, NC on October 8, 1944. The congregation was begun by three couples: Claude and Bessie Downey, Charles Lloyd and Mabel Downey (along with their daughter Barbara), and Hobson and Barbara Allen, who did the teaching when they gathered.

In the beginning, worship services were held in the upstairs Community Room at the offices of Duke Power Company. From November 1945 until November 1949, the church met in the front offices of the old Hickory Steam Laundry on Highland Avenue. The offices would hold about fifty people, and the business was owned by the Downey brothers.

On May 8, 1948, a fire damaged building on Main Avenue N.W. was purchased from the Church of the Ascension, Episcopal for $12,000.00. Their educational wing had suffered the most damage. Remodeling, alterations and additions took about a year and a half, and cost an additional $8,000.00. This building, which was next door to the city fire department, began to be used on November 20, 1949. The property was later sold to the City of Hickory, with the proceeds being used to pay off the debt for the property on Fairgrove Church Road.

The current location at 1218 Fairgrove Church Road was purchased in 1963. At that time, it was a vacant lot with a small house attached to the property. The first worship service was held in the current building on November 1, 1971. This building has a seating capacity of about 225 and is comprised of a lower level fellowship hall, the main level and a second floor of classrooms. The small house on the property was used for years as a parsonage, and now houses church offices and additional classroom space.

In the summer of 2001, the church purchased two adjoining lots which each have a commercial building on them. This effectively “squared up” our ownership of the entire block of property. after several years of leasing these buildings while we paid down the debt incurred with their purchase in 2013 the larger building has been put to use as the home of Hickory Church of Christ Missions. A large and growing pantry ministry and a clothing ministry are serving several hundred families and individuals.